Saturday, April 28, 2007

are you hiring?

Setting: Friday night, 8:30pm, at the restaurant. The dining room is almost full, the lounge if full of people watching game 2 of Vancouver/Anaheim, there are people waiting to get in to eat.
A hostess walks up, and tells me there is a phone call for the manager. She has no name, as the caller didn't want to give it, he "just wants to speak with the manager".

This usually means that I have a bit of smooth talking to do, to try and fix a situation that has gone wrong.

me: Thanks for holding, Russell speaking.
phone: Hi, I was wondering if you are hiring servers or bartenders right now?
me: ...(stunned silence)...

me: so we are always looking for good people. But I don't really have time to talk about that right now, because IT'S FRIDAY NIGHT AND WE ARE BUSY. You need to come in some time LIKE MONDAY AFTERNOON when it isn't busy.
phone: oh.
me: ok, bye now.

Seriously? Even if this guy shows up Monday afternoon, he will have some rather large mountains to climb for me to even talk about an interview.

A tip for anyone wanting to apply to a restaurant: Learn a bit about the place you want to work (like if they are busy Friday nights) before you call the manager off the floor.

No comments: