Wednesday, April 25, 2007

save the copper

I have the song "3:42am" by MercyMe stuck in my head right now. Maybe it is because it's 2:45am and I am sitting at my computer instead of tucked into my warm and cozy bed, snugly sleeping beside Vanessa who is definitely not having any trouble visiting dreamland.
I have recently come to the conclusion (around 2:30 or so) that laying down in bed, at 8:30pm after the kids go to bed, and falling asleep is not the best course of action for a good nights sleep. I'm thinking I should have waited an hour or two, to prevent the awkwardness of being ready for my day by 3 in the morning. I can't blame Vanessa, because even if she had tried to stop it, it would have failed. I was sleepy, and lets just say that I can be persistent about sleeping when I am tired.

Being awake in a silent house in the middle of the night gives one a chance to think though, and I have had an idea which may, in fact, help save the world.
It has to do with pennies, and the uselessness of them. Why are they still in circulation? Why do we bother counting them out? Can you buy anything with a penny anymore?
I know that pennies once were useful, I will not contest that fact. It has been a long time however since they have really been important in our monetary system.
Good point, I know, but how is that going to save the world? Well, besides saving the materials, time and energy that go into producing these now obsolete and uncared for coins, here is the plan.
When you buy something, I propose that the price just gets bumped up to the nearest nickel. For example, if the total after tax is $11.18, round up to $11.20. It is only two of the unwanted pennies that you are paying extra, and I am sure that there are very few people out there that would complain about losing the extra two pennies.
"Oh, but Russell" you say, "those pennies add up". Yes, they do, and that is how someone with far greater computer literacy than me would have to step in, and develop the software for business that would track all of the sales that have been rounded up. At the end of the month, businesses would have a total amount overpaid by rounding up, and would then be responsible for giving that sum to an organization like the food bank, habitat for humanity, etc.
Imagine how much money would be available to help people in need. You or I would not notice any change in our quality of life as a result of paying an extra penny or two for what we buy. Those pennies usually end up floating around, often getting lost or being given to the kids to play with. This is such a greater way to use that money, and think of the impact it would have on the people in our society that really need the help.

Let me know what you think, if there is enough interest in this then maybe I will just quit my day job and go full force lobbying for change. Pun intended.

No comments: