Sunday, July 1, 2007

canada day tribute

Here is a list of 5 things that make me thankful that to live in Canada.

1) God. We are all free to choose a religion (or not to choose) without fear of being persecuted. There are many countries out there that will incarcerate or even execute you if they find out you believe in Jesus. That blows my mind, as I grew up here in Canada and have grown up with people who have had all different beliefs. I cannot imagine beating another person because they have a different view of who God is. It doesn't matter if they are wrong in their view or not, they are entitled to hold it.

2) Public health care. I know that our health care system isn't perfect, and definitely needs some help in getting it straightened out. But I know that I don't have to spend the next 60 years of my life paying off Eleanor's first 3 months of life in the hospital. $3000/day? Oh, and the fact that we had the privilege of a hospital for her to have her life saved in. It hurts my heart to think of what would have happened if we lived in another country that didn't have the Best Children's Hospital Ever right next door.

3) Drinking water. I know it simple, and many people take it for granted, but what if you had to carry two big buckets 5km each way just for your daily water? Which would then have to be boiled? And people complain if the restaurant is busy and the server takes 5 minutes to deliver the tasty glass of water with lemon. Good Grief.

4) Tim Horton's. Yes, I know Starbucks is awesome and all that, and I do enjoy a good number of different latte's and blended goodness drinks from there, but there is a hands down effeciency and value factor that Timmy's just blows the competition away. I can line up behind 12 cars in the drive through, and get my coffee for less than a toonie, and be on my way to work in less than 5 minutes. I'm sure they put liquid crack in the cup, because it is soooo tasty.

5) Peace making. Not war making. Knowing if I travel the world, I can put a little Canadian flag on my jacket and people will be welcoming instead of resentful. Not that I can afford to travel the world. But if I did...oh the places I would go.


Honourary mention: Goes to British Columbia, for being the absolutely most beautiful and brilliant place in the entire world to live. There is ocean, rain forest, and desert all within a day's drive. Parks to enjoy. Space to be alone. And the weather...sunshine, rain, snow. Never too hot, never too cold. Visiting other places is great, and I know there are other places with amazing things to offer. There is none better than B.C. to come home to though.

Happy Canada Day.

No comments: