Saturday, August 29, 2009

another late night

I find myself again up at a late hour, trying to decide what to share with you before I head off to bed. Another night of work is finished, and although not much has changed since Wednesday, I had a better night tonight. My Mom and Dad, and Auntie Gloria stopped in for dinner tonight. They don't usually come by my restaurant to see me, but it was my Dad's birthday, and I called him right when they were deciding where to go for dinner so he had no choice.
I was blessed to hear some stories about his trip to Bowren Lakes (sp?) and the canoe trip he took. It was cool to see how excited he was that he was able to make that journey, the 6 day epic canoeing adventure.

Now to make some friends and family's heads explode: We've been checking out RCA's online homeschooling programs the last couple days, and really praying about if this is the right decision. We have been getting advice from both sides on this subject for quite a while now as we have been questioning it for a while. Recently we have had some pretty convincing arguments for why we should homeschool. Wanna know what they are? Here's a couple:

-Deuteronomy 6:5-9
-Voddie Baucham's sermon regarding homeschooling, specifically the comment "if you send your children to be taught by Caesar, do not be surprised when they come home as Romans" (maybe not quoted exactly verbatim, but that's the general idea)
-pretty much the only time people are ever in a group of 25 people exactly the same age is in school. When is the last time you went to work with 25 people the same age as you? What will our children learn from this kind of social interaction? All kinds of negatives, and the only positive-learning how to wait in line.

There are surely more good reasons, but alas I fall victim to drained energy levels and a noisy cat who apparently does not think that it is ok for Eleanor to have a hamster in her bedroom.

No comments: