Tuesday, January 20, 2009

hooray for nothing!

There I was, coming home from work on Friday night armed with a newly discovered trick to try and get rid of the annoying pop up at the bottom of my computer.
Let me tell you a bit about it. For about two or three months now, there has been an icon in the taskbar at the bottom of our screen. This icon is a red circle, with a big white X through it. Very much this icon says "stop, there is a problem!" The icon pops up about every 10 seconds or so, with a ballon message that says "warning, your computer is infected with spyware. Download antispyware program now!". The real problem is, this icon/program is the blasted spyware. I have spyware on my computer, and every scan is "quarantines" this file. I then delete it, only to have the icon still there, glaring at me.
At work, we have this young man who happens to have a second job as an IT guy. Very contrasting jobs, working in a kitchen and as an IT guy, but he's good at his job so whatever. "youngblood" as he is called, and I had a converstation on Friday. I told him about my problem, and he says that all I have to do is to piss my computer off, make it enter "safe mode" and I will be able to go in and delete the file. So, I came home Friday, and did this, and thought that I was free and clear of this issue. I was, but only because I went to bed after cheering about it with the entire blogosphere (which for me consists of about 3 people. maybe).
It hasn't worked. I have spent the last two hours working on this problem, and it still laughs at me as I write this.

And in other news, Thursday morning I will be meeting one more time with the powers that be to see about OJ's. Could be the one in south Surrey is available now...that would be sweet.

No comments: