Monday, September 10, 2007

southpointe

So has ended the first week of school, and the first week of me working in White Rock. The school week was a short one, with Eleanor excited for the first day, and grouchy for the next 3. I am not sure how she is going to handle this year in school, with 5 full days ahead of her every week. Today started well, but it's only Monday, and after a weekend in Birch Bay with Grandma & Grandpa and my brothers family...

I worry about what Thursday and Friday morning will look like. Here the four of them look a little bit like young hobbits trouncing through the forest.



I started working in the White Rock chapter of the Restaurant last Monday. I haven't talked too much about what this change in locations means for me, mostly because I am still trying to figure it out for myself.

Upon announcing my leaving to The People in Langley, The People began asking why, why must you leave? And they want to know if I am excited about it? Was it your choice? Do you want to go? To this I prepared a statement, an official press release if you will. And then I threw it out, and just laid it out for most of them.

I must leave. I cannot continue to work in a restaurant where the GM doesn't care about the people coming through the doors providing him with a paycheque. He just cares about the paycheque. I could not continue to go to work every day excited when everything that I had spent building up in the last 4 years was coming apart. Was it my choice? Not really, my choice was to take over the Langley store. This is a distant second. As far as the future of the Langley store? I am sure that it is going to suffer some hard times very soon. And then the bosses who made the decision to bring in an outsider instead...maybe they will see the mistake they made, maybe not. Either way, it's their loss now.

My welcome in White Rock has been mostly warm. I seem to be getting along pretty well with most of them. Some, not so much. In the first week I have had 2 hosts quit, and one kitchen dude. The hosts were not so much of a loss, as they were lazy, and I have 2 new ones starting tomorrow anyway. Oh, the apathy on the host team right now...it will change.

If I am around long enough to make the change.

No comments: