Tuesday, March 4, 2008

on a scale of one to random

Last Friday I received a phone call. It was from my boss' boss, and he wanted to have a talk with me about an opportunity. This is the same boss' boss that I had a chat with a few weeks ago. Now, as you may have heard from a previous post, at this point I already know that it's a given that I will not move into a GM position with this company, straight from the director's mouth. Whatever. I'm past that now. Really. Sort of.
The opportunity he mentioned was to help with the installation of an upgrade to our operating software, in each of the restaurants across the country. I have a knack for training, and seem to be better with the software than the majority of the people that I work with, and the idea is that I would be the guy who shows all the people how to use it.
I know that I am not all that brilliant on the computer, it did take me about 3 months to figure out how to do something as simple as make a link in a blog. Anyway, I have that figured out now, so don't give me grief. I didn't see any of you offering up help...
So, I say that it sounds interesting, he says he'll call Monday with more information. Monday passes, and Tuesday rolls around. My other boss comes by today, and talks with my GM about my schedule for next week, and how he (GM) needs to free me up for Monday/Tuesday, since the plan is for me to be in North Vancouver on Monday and Calgary on Tuesday.

Um, hi there. Did someone think to let me know that I will be making a trip to Calgary? Next week? Is it an overnighter? Do I get to know what the actual programs look like before I have to teach people how to use them? IS THIS A PROJECT I EVEN WANT TO DO?

Really though, I think an overnighter to Calgary will be fun. I have never been on a day/overnight business trip before, just out of town "retreats" that end up being a ton of work. Hopefully I will find out by Friday just what the plan is. Until then, I will keep fishing for information on what exactly I will be teaching people. And if I get some kind of bonus...

No comments: