Thursday, October 25, 2007

sadness

After just over a week of cleaning up many misplaced bathroom breaks by Ethel, and several very early mornings, Ethel has had to return home. That is, the home from which she came, not our home here in the basement. Our landlords have decided that they will not allow a dog here. I am not sure if this is a decision they made before or after we got the dog, since we did not do a lot of research in to the subject before brining her home.

I am still debating how I should feel about that. On one hand there is nothing stating that we cannot have a dog here, and I wonder if Ethel were a different breed, maybe a smaller one, if they wouldn't have minded. On the other hand, we should have taken the time to check in with the owners to see how they felt about it.

Either way, we are sad that she was not able to stay. I think the most heartbroken about it is Eleanor, who was overjoyed daily that we had a puppy to care for. I think this is the worst part of the whole situation, that due to our negligence and our landlords unwavering stance, that we have brought her so much joy only to have to take it away so soon after.

I do hope that she will be able to recover from this without any lasting baggage that she will one day have to deal with, because the last thing we want as parents is to damage our children. We are truly sorry baby, I can only hope that one day you will forgive us.

No comments: