Saturday, May 26, 2007

my tired feet

After a long day at work, it is so nice to come home and be able to put my feet up. We had dinner tonight, a bit later than usual which is probably going to become the usual with the summertime fast approaching. After dinner, me & the kids set down on the couch to enjoy a book or three.

Eleanor picked a couple books, and then Thomas picked a book. As we cuddled on the couch, I had my feet up on the table, relaxing them. Reading the bedtime stories to the kids always seems to have the opposite effect on our family than it's intention. By the end of the stories, I am usually falling asleep, and the kids think it's hilarious and are no closer to sleeping than before the stories. I'm not really sure what the reason is for my heavy eyed fairy tales, but it never fails that I am on the edge of sleep by the end of the stories.

After three books tonight, once again I was close to napping, but was pulled from my gentle drift to dreamland by Eleanor asking if she could rub cream on my feet. OF COURSE! I don't even know how I could say no to that, even if I had some notion that it wouldn't be a good idea. So, Eleanor rubbed some cream on my feet, and although she hasn't really had any practice my feet enjoyed it immensely. It was especially cool that she wanted to do something kind for her dad without being asked.

I know that someday, sooner than I would like, I could beg, bribe and request all I want for her to rub my feet- and the only answer I will get is a benevolent shrug and eyeroll combination that says "dad, seriously?" before walking off to her room to listen to an ipod and talk on her cell phone to her friends about how lame her dad is.

No comments: