Monday, March 26, 2007

of course it's cold!

I don't know if I will ever understand people ordering food, and then returning it - not because there is anything wrong with it, I can understand that - but returning it solely because either
a: they didn't know what it was before they ordered it and now can't handle what it is
or
b: they are foolish.
I had a table in today, who ordered a chowder to share, a salad to share and another appetizer. This is a usual happening, people want the best of both worlds without being to gluttonous. In and of itself not a problem.
My issue today resulted from said guests frowning at the chowder, split into two bowls 'cause we are nice like that, when it was dropped at the table. "We only ordered one" was the comment they had to make, and our server kindly responded that "this is one, we just put it into two smaller bowls for you to share".
At this point, you would think things are all peachy. In the land of normal people, things are great.
The server continues on about her business for the remainder of the experience, never really unavailable to them because it never really got busy at all today. At the end, the two bowls of chowder are sitting, untouched, on the table.
The people that I will never really understand, the breed that don't really understand how restaurants work or just don't care, call the server over to the table.
"our soup is cold".
REALLY? You mean after you let it sit on the table for 15 minutes, it didn't hold it's heat? I can't imagine what possible reason could cause such a catastrophe as that.
"Oh, I'm really sorry, can I get you a new bowl?"
"No, we are done."
Hmmm. I understand that cold soup is not tasty. That, my friends, is normal. I can't really wrap my head around how you can let your bowl of soup sit on a regular table, not a hot plate or anything as fancy as that, for the entire duration of your meal and chit chat, and then complain that it is cold, please take it off my bill I don't really want it.

If you didn't really want it, DON'T ORDER IT!

No comments: