Friday, March 16, 2007

fuzzy morning

Let me start by saying that the morning was not fuzzy due to any sort of imbibed substance.
I had the pleasure of having my 3 and a half year old niece sleep over last night. Now her and I haven't seen alot of each other, given that she has spent most of her life on the East coast of Canada, and I haven't left the West for many a year. Alas, she has returned, and when she asked if she could sleep over with Eleanor and Thomas of course I said yes.
I knew what I was getting in to, a 5, 4 & 3 year old all going to bed in the same room. A few giggles, a few burps, a few more giggles. Nothing too serious, all in good fun.
Until 4am.
That is when someone decided she wanted her daddy. The small issue that I had with this is the fact that daddy did not sleep over, he was at home. The small issue that she had with this is that I am her uncle that looks like a much slimmer version of her daddy, but isn't her dad. I'm just the uncle that she kind of knows.
So, with instructions to her that it was still time for sleeping, and she would see daddy in the morning, I tried to set the example and go back to sleep. But I had to get some milk first.
So, back to bed I go, sleepily checking out the alarm clock and doing the math to see how much sleep I could get before the 6:50 wake up call. Just before sleep took over, I heard a voice.
A cute, tiny, little voice.
Off to investigate I go.
What's the trouble? I didn't heat up the milk. Why wouldn't I heat up the milk? Don't all kids have warm milk, shouldn't I have known this? At 4:30, I wasn't thinking very clearly at all.
And then my two kids decide to explain to me how they feel about the situation of being woken up by their cousin. I listened for about 10 seconds, kissed them goodnight, and went to the washroom.
Naturally, more than ready to go back to bed, I am about to crawl in when I see a Thomas. Not the tank engine kind, but the 4 year old blond haired been woken up by his cousin in his room and now wants to sleep in my bed kind, because it isn't fair that his cousin is keeping him up. To which I may or may not have explained with a small amount of frustration the fact that it really isn't fair that I can't be sleeping, I don't need to hear about how you can't. A little over dramatic on my part, I am sure, but to reiterate - it was 4:45 at this point, and my mind had little capability to think of a possible alternative argument.
Back to sleep, and up at 6:50. Normally, this is not a time of morning that causes me much grief, but with a disrupted sleep pattern I was left in a fog until about 9:30. There's nothing like walking into work, making a pot of coffee full of the cleaner from the night before and settling down for a nice round of fuzzy cash counting.

Would I ever have her over for a sleepover again? Anytime.

No comments: