Friday, July 10, 2009

grinding the mountain

Yesterday was a day full of adventure for us. See, we have some family visiting from Brantford, ON. They, along with my parents and aunt and uncle, all thought it would be well and dandy to take in a day at Stanley Park, in Vancouver. Then, after a lovely picnic there, spend some time over at Grouse mountain doing the Grouse Grind.

I had been thinking about doing the Grind this year, with the kids, as a cool activity. Turns out this was our opportunity for it. I had the day off, and the sun was shining. After looking at the mountain from Stanley park, I thought I had better talk to the kids about the daunting challenge that would be the climb. As we got there, with one last chance to back out, Eleanor decided that it would be a bit much for her. Since I have never done the Grind, I wasn't sure if she could make it but was going to give her the chance. After completing it, with Thomas, I am sure that she would not have made it. We had had such a busy day up until that point, it was just too much.
Long story short, Thomas and I finished the Grind at 1hour 31minutes. Pretty great for 6 year old if you ask me.

I think this will translate in to an early bedtime tonight though, after working all day today my body is just about done.

No comments: