Sunday, June 17, 2007

fathers day

I know that all dads out there in the blogosphere (and probably some moms too) are commenting on fathers day. So why would I leave myself out?

After a long day at work today (yup, I don't get fathers day off either) I got to meet my wife & the kids at my parents house for dinner. My brother was there, and there was some discussion about fathers day and the difference between moms & dads. He noted that for mothers day, moms want to be pampered and want to have every care handled for them. Maybe some quiet time at home without the kids, or dinner cooked and cleaned by dad.

On fathers day, dads seem to be expected to spend the day with the kids. This, in my opinion, is the best part about the day. I don't think that many fathers get to spend anywhere near as much time just hanging out with the kids as they should, resulting in the complete opposite goal of the day versus moms day.

Dads: Go enjoy the kids, revel in their ability to play. Learn from them what it means to play and have fun, even in the simplest activity. Know that whatever you do, you are one of the most important figures in the lives of your kids, and take every opportunity you can to love your kids.

Happy Fathers Day Dads!

No comments: